If you regularly remote desktop into another machine, you’ll know all about the system beep. I hate this beep! I was relieved to be able to switch it off in Windows 7 by disabling the Beep driver in the list of Non-Plug and Play Drivers under Device Manager. But that list of drivers has been removed in Windows 8, so that technique will not work.
Disabling the remote desktop beep in windows 8
I totally don’t recommend you mess with your registry because that would be very irresponsible indeed. So, start by opening Registry Editor…
- To open Registry Editor, hit Win key and type regedit
- Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Beep. There’s the little bugger!
- I checked the values on this MSDN page. Set them as follows:
- ErrorControl = 0 (Ignore it if it fails to start)
- Start = 4 (Don’t start/disable the service)
I don’t know how to stop the service immediately, so you need to restart at this point. And the beep’s gone!